I could have been eaten...
Last Post 23 Jan 2018 07:10 PM by Thomas Wentling. 0 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
23 Jan 2018 07:10 PM

I got introduced to gold panning in June 2017 and since I was planning a motorcycle trip out to Colorado up through Wyoming and back through South Dakota to Pennsylvania , I figured I would bring along some gear. While I was camping on the west side of Yellowstone, I ran into a local who suggested going to Virginia City, MT.  Off I rolled, with buckets, sluice and gear hanging off the bike. Once there I find a local who points me down a dirt road. I got permission to dig on a claim. Now being from out east, I was warned about the bear and other assorted animals that would want to eat me. No problem... I am a Vet, been in combat, and I had my 44 with me. I can handle this. So I drag my gear down to the creek to get set up. I unpack.... look around.... put the sluice in the creek....look around.... get the rest of the gear out.... you get the point. I started digging a ways from the creek and carried the bucket to the water to run through the sluice. I kept looking up. Look to the left.... look to the right... all clear.... Then it happened... That awful sound that you hear behind you. Do you spin around ready for battle or do you move slow and hope you don't get attacked. I took option #2. I slowly put my hand on the 44 while I turned my head to see. There it was.... not 50 feet from me.... A COW. Looking at me with those big eyes and huge nostrils. She had a look on her face that said.... Hi.... I'm Cow.... It was a thrill I will never forget. I brought home some fools gold just to have a reminder of how much danger I was in.   THE END

You are not authorized to post a reply.